Grandparent Rights

A Child's Emotional Ties with a Grandparent or Step-Parent

More than 40 Years of Emphasis in Legal Issues of the Family; Including Grandparent-Grandchild Guardianship and Child - Nonparent Emotional Tie Cases in Yamhill County, Washington County, Marion County, and Polk County, State of Oregon.

At Larry K. Gray & Associates, P.C., the emphasis and focus are to provide sound advice, top quality document preparation, and/or reasoned advocacy for our client. We strive to provide professional, timely, and cost-effective results to meet the client’s legal concerns. Our proficiency, effectiveness, and integrity have earned us a reputation as one of Yamhill County’s premier lawyers.

At times, you may find yourself in situations or with problems that you cannot resolve on your own. Our legal counseling is designed to assist you and your family with courtesy and respect in such difficult periods. Knowledgeable advice acquired from decades of legal experience can help you formulate a course of action to free yourself from a complex legal maze. We do not represent banks, insurance companies, governmental agencies, or large corporations; our clients are individuals and families seeking help with legal problems they encounter in this increasingly complex world.

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

Grandparents, stepparents, and other family members can have a very important role in a child’s life. In 2000, a U.S. Supreme Court case severely restricted a grandparent legal rights to visitations with a grandchild when a parent objects to the grandparent’s visitation. To address the obvious problems resulting from Supreme Court case, Oregon enacted a statute which recognizes the strong emotional ties which can develop between a child and a non parent.

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

"A Family Law Lawyer"

Call for Consultation
(503) 538-1350
404 East First Street, Newberg, OR 97132
Free Parking


Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

The child’s emotional ties can be with any person, including but not limited to a related or non related foster parent, stepparent, grandparent, or relative by blood or marriage. The relationship can be a "child-parent relationship" or an "ongoing personal relationship." If the court determines that a "child-parent relationship" exists, then the court can order custody, guardianship, or right of visitation to the non parent when it is in the best interest of the child. If the court determines that an "ongoing personal relationship" exists, then the court can order visitation or contact rights to the non parent when it is in the best interest of the child.

How the legal concepts of "child-parent relationship" or "ongoing personal relationship" are applied to a particular case can vary dramatically with the facts of each case. A knowledgeable, experienced Grandparent Rights Step-Parent Rights lawyer can help you understand how these legal concepts might be applied to the facts of your case.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice regarding your particular legal problem, and the presentation of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will only exist after a mutual agreement to establish an attorney-client relationship.