Child Support

Child Support

More than 40 Years of Emphasis in Legal Issues of the Family; including Child Support cases in Yamhill County, State of Oregon.

Larry K. Gray & Associates, P.C. will strive to achieve the best outcome for every client by providing zealous legal representation through reasoned, logical, informed, effective advocacy.

At Larry K. Gray & Associates P.C., the emphasis and focus are to provide sound advice, top quality document preparation, and/or reasoned advocacy for our client. We strive to provide professional, timely, and cost-effective results to meet the client’s legal concerns. Our proficiency, effectiveness, and integrity have earned us a reputation as one of Yamhill County’s premier lawyers.

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

At times, you may find yourself in situations or with problems that you cannot resolve on your own. Our legal counseling is designed to assist you and your family with courtesy and respect in such difficult periods. Knowledgeable advice acquired from decades of legal experience can help you formulate a course of action to free yourself from a complex legal maze. We do not represent banks, insurance companies, governmental agencies, or large corporations; our clients are individuals and families seeking help with legal problems they encounter in this increasingly complex world.

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

"A Family Law Lawyer"

Call for Consultation
(503) 538-1350
404 East First Street, Newberg, OR 97132
Free Parking

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC can answer your questions and help you with Divorce, Child Custody, Parenting Time, Child Support, Property and Debt Division, and Spousal Support Issues.  

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

Child Support In Oregon

The child support issue can occur within divorce, paternity, juvenile, child custody, or child guardianship cases. When a child is under 18 years old, a parent may have a child support obligation due to the other parent or a third party caring for the child. In Oregon, for a child 18 years old and under 21 years old, both parents may have a child support obligation for a child attending school.

Child support in Oregon is determined by State of Oregon Child Support Guidelines. The State of Oregon Department of Justice has created a Child Support Calculator on the internet which can be used to calculate the parents’ child support obligations. The calculator produces two components of the child support obligation - a cash child support obligation and a cash medical support obligation.

The main factors used in determining the child support are:

  1. Gross income of each parent;
  2. The number of children;
  3. Parenting time each parent has with the child(ren);
  4. Availability and costs of medical insurance; and
  5. Child care costs.

The child support calculator can be used successfully by a non-attorney; however, what information to insert into the calculator, how the inserted information influences the calculations, and what the resulting child support amount means are not always obvious. Take a look at the calculator, try to work through the calculator, and then you may want to invest in an attorney’s initial consultation for some help.

Child Support - Child Attending School

In Oregon, when a child is 18 years old and under 21 years old and is attending school, both parents may have a child support obligation for the child.

A “child attending school” is an expanding and changing legal issue in Oregon. A child who is 18 years old, under the age of 21, and attending school, is entitled to receive child support from his/her parents. This child will have to be made a named party to the parents’ court case. I have yet to find a child who likes the idea of being made a party to his/her parents’ divorce case.

A "child attending school” is an unmarried child who is making satisfactory academic progress as a student with a course load that is not less than one-half of a full-time enrolled student.

Larry K Gray & Associates, PC

A school can be a high school, community college, four-year college or university, professional, vocational or technical training, high school equivalency course, GED program, or home schooling.

An experienced family law lawyer can give you a better understanding of your child support rights and obligations as a parent or child for a “child attending school.”

For a knowledgeable, experienced, and cost-effective
Child Custody and Parenting Time Attorney, contact
Larry K. Gray & Associates, P.C. Larry K. Gray has been helping clients for more than 40 years.

Larry K. Gray & Associates, P.C.
404 East First Street
Newberg, Oregon
Phone: (503) 538-1350

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice regarding your particular legal problem, and the presentation of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will only exist after a mutual agreement to establish an attorney-client relationship.